All Our Stories
The roadside historical marker tells us only the basics. And some of that is wrong. Read more …
The history of the Society of Friends (Quakers) on the Eastern Shore of Maryland goes back to 1659 when the Quakers in Talbot County established the Third Haven Meetinghouse. The first Quaker meetinghouse in what would become Caroline County was established at Marshy Creek near Preston in 1727.
The murder of a Harmony schoolgirl in 1895 still shocks and fascinates
county residents and true crime enthusiasts.
In an unusual twist of fate, the Ridgely native – and prominent teacher, suffragette, and businesswoman – received more attention from the Baltimore press than from local media during her remarkable lifetime.
This month, we complete our four-year survey of historic schools in Caroline County, 1820-1960.
We re-discovered 23 segregated black schools built since the 1870s.
Eight black schools are still there.
Stand in the Place.
Find our how Hubbard and Leverton with worked with Harriet Tubman and others to move freedom seekers through Caroline County to safety
Louise Hollister, Maryland School of Nursing, Class of 1939. Native of Hillsboro.
2LT Louise A. Hollister, RN, Army Nurse Corps, 1942-1943, was Maryland’s only Army Nurse casualty in WWII.
In observance of Black History Month, we’re publishing Tuckahoe, a cycle of poems which beckon us to learn more about Frederick Douglass’s life and times – and to Stand in the Place.