Join us to preserve this sacred house of worship, built in 1802.
Donate online to save the Meetinghouse.
It takes just a minute.
Rare Interior Photos
See rare photos here of the interior of the Meetinghouse and details of its exterior.
Latest News: Saving the Meetinghouse
“Fall Tea” Benefit for TNQM
You are invited to attend the “Fall Tea” to benefit the restoration of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House, on November 6, 2021 12-3 pm, at The Public House, 200 Market St. Denton, MD.
RSVP to Jo Ann Staples at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 23 to . $20 pre-paid.
Restoration is Now Funded
June 30, 2021
The Committee for the Preservation of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House is now incorporated and is known as the Friends of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House.
Our original plan was to start with the restoration on the west side of the building. The east side was restored in 2019. Restoration plans have expanded to include the three remaining sides. We have received donations from individuals, a religious group, and a DAR Historic Preservation Grant. Funding for this project was made possible through the sponsorship of the General Perry Benson Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Because of the age of the building, additional restoration work has come to light and more contributions are needed.
The Friends of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House are planning a Celebration of Thanks and Rededication on the grounds of the Meetinghouse on September 26, 2021 – the two hundred and nineteenth anniversary of the first meeting.
For more information and to join the Friends of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House, please contact Jo Ann at email@example.com
Emergency repairs in 2019 to weatherproof the exterior.
History of the Meetinghouse
The Neck Meetinghouse was built in 1802 and “laid down”, disbanded in 1897.
The Nicholites originated in Kent County, Delaware. After Joseph Nichohols death in 1770, they began to move into Caroline County. The Quakers and the Nicholites shared at least two other meetinghouses at Northwest Fork (Federalsburg) and Centre (Concord) in Caroline County. Beginning in 1797, as many as 400 Nicholites or “New Quakers” joined the Quakers.
The Quakers operated a school in this building from 1856 to 1858 and from 1877 to 1879 (or maybe 1897).
The “Dunkards” – the Church of the Brethren – established a church for Black citizens at some point in time, and it was a public school one year, 1899 to 1900.
It also served as a barracks for Union Soldiers during the Civil War. It is said the soldiers would leave the building on Sunday so the Quakers could worship.
In 1901, Edward Tylor purchased the building from the Third Haven Meetinghouse in Easton, and it was retained by his heirs until 1949, when it was purchased by the Choptank Electric Cooperative. It stood unused except for one or two homecoming celebrations about 1929 and 1930. There has been no activity in the building since 1930.
[Sources: Jo Ann Staples, Eastern Shore Quaker histories by Dr. Kenneth Carroll, History of Caroline County (1920) ]
Neck Meetinghouse about 1920 (Cochrane, History of Caroline County)
Neck Meetinghouse in 1974 (MHT CAR-36)
Friends of Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House are appealing to all citizens of the County to assist in this effort. We have developed a multi-facet plan of fundraising, consisting of writing grant proposals, electronic fundraising, and signature fundraising events.
If you would like to assist in this truly worthwhile effort or would like to have more information, please contact Jo Ann Staples at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate to save the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meetinghouse.
It takes just a minute.
Stand in the Place: Where Quakers & Nicholites Stood
In 1974, Denton resident and land historian Eleanor Horsely prepared and submitted documention for the Tuckahoe Neck Meetinghouse to be listed in the Maryland Inventory of Historic Places. She traced the history of the building, transfers of ownership, and physical condition of the building. Read more.
The original single-story, one-room plan structure was erected in Federalsburg by the Nicolites around 1775-80. Although altered as a bungalow around 1913-15, the former Pine Grove Friends Meetinghouse, originally the Northwest Fork Nicolite Meetinghouse, is the only structure in Dorchester County to survive as a representation of these religious sects that were active within the Eastern Shore counties during the 18th and 19th centuries. [Read more from the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties.]
Explore Where You Are: Quaker History in Caroline
The roadside historical marker tells us only the basics. And some of that is wrong. Read more …
The history of the Society of Friends (Quakers) on the Eastern Shore of Maryland goes back to 1659 when the Quakers in Talbot County established the Third Haven Meetinghouse. The first Quaker meetinghouse in what would become Caroline County was established at Marshy Creek near Preston in 1727.
Find out how Hubbard and Leverton with worked with Harriet Tubman and others to move freedom seekers through Caroline County to safety.