Earliest Documented: 1896
Latest Documented: 1928
Tags: Segregated Black Schools
We found this school by comparing the 1920 USGS topo map with Maryland state aerial imagery. It was listed in school board announcements between at least 1896 and 1928.
A site visit in 2019 confirms that this building is still standing.
The 1920 USGS topo map shows second church/school symbol adjacent to AME church. Mapped location is the parcel west of the church. Maryland 6-in ortho imagery shows debris and a structure in the woods of this parcel.
More images are here.
DJ 1896 list school no. 2 in 1896 Election Dist. No. 6. Categorized as Colored School in 1928.
Structure Exists: Yes
Location Precision: 1000 Meters
Primary Source: Denton Journal
Other Sources: DJ 1928-10-20/page-4