Other Names: Chipman’s Lane School, Chitman’s School, Chitmans School, possibly John Wesley School
Earliest Documented: 1896
Latest Documented: 1904
Listed in DJ 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, which includes Federalsburg. Google search gave Maryland legislative changes to Caroline County election districts. The 1894 change includes the boundary along “new road [from Woodenhawk stream] by way of Chitman’s lane to Chestnut Grove”.
Compare 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing buidilng that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School (GNIS Feature ID 595993). The school is marked but not labeled and is co-located with John Wesley Church in the USGS Hobbs topo map (1944, 1:24000).
Location Precision: 1 Meters
Structure Exists: Yes
Primary Source: 1906 USGS Topo Map
Other Sources: Google search of Maryland legislative records.