Other names: Denton, Edenton
Several 18th century references, including a 1775 Certificate for Smith Island (Mud Island), are made to landings at Pig Point. Pig Point was located along the southern banks of the Choptank River and would ultimately be incorporated into the village of Denton (combining the Mt. Andrew and Pig Point tracts) and comprise the new village’s northernmost shoreline along the Choptank River.
Other indications of multiple landings along the Pig Point riverfront are given in the “1807 Map of Denton” map identifies two riverfront granaries at the foot of Front Street (now First Street). The granaries were owned by A. Ross and John Dawson. Further upriver along the Pig Point riverfront, near the intersection of Second and High Streets, were currying and tanning shops owned by Solomon Brown. Another landing may have been located at the end of the present day N. Third Street.