Other names: Kings Town, Kingstown, Turners Granary Wharf
Cultural Resource include: Choptank River “ancient” port town, landing with 19th century tobacco warehouse, two wharves, and granaries; steamboat landing from at least 1898 to 1921.
Kingston is apparently named after King’s Creek, located about two miles above Dover Bridge on the west side of Choptank River. Henry Parker gave the name Kingston to his property located on this creek. The mouth of the creek on the Choptank provided an ideal place for shipping as it possessed solid ground and water of depths from 28 to 30 feet. A ferry may have operated here.
“An Act for Advancing the Trade of Tobacco” passed in 1683 required all imports and exports after August 31, 1685, to pass through one of at least 31 designated sites. The Act also required that each site provide facilities (warehouses) for the storage of tobacco for any planter who did not maintain a warehouse in the town. A charge of not more than ten pounds of tobacco annually was established for each hogshead of tobacco so stored. In 1683 Kings Creek (Kingstown) was the first site so designated on the upper Choptank River. These towns were to be ports “where all Ships and Vessels, trading into this Province, shall Unlade and put on Shore, all Negroes, Wares, Goods, Merchandises and Commodities whatsoever.”