Other names: Dover Landing, Barker Landing
Barker’s Landing was located where the Dover Ferry crossed from the Caroline County side of the Choptank River to the Talbot County or west side of the river. Barkers Landing was first officially mentioned in the transactions of the Lower House of the General Assembly in 1709 petitioning for a town to be developed there; but nothing ever came of it. Barker’s Landing was used by sailing vessels to destroy wood boring-worms (Teredo navalis; shipworm) which could not survive in the fresh waters of the river that far up river, as well as to load cargoes of tobacco. Evidence of submerged wharf cribbing is present at this site.
(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)