Easton Point, located at the end of Port Street, Easton, near the head of Tred Avon River, was the water connection for Easton. Easton was a center for military operations during the War of 1812 and was therefore considered a possible target by the British. While Easton was never attacked it was protected by Fort Stoakes located opposite Easton Point and slightly down river. Two barges were also built by public subscription to defend any water attack up the Tred Avon River. The fort was built on Mr. Henry Hollyday’s plantation (Ratcliffe Manor) but was named after James Stoakes, a local shipbuilder and Methodist preacher whose shipyard workers largely built the fort. The redoubt had six cannons mounted behind breastworks and a structure to house the fort’s garrison. “…an embankment was thrown up, sufficient to effectually shelter 500 men, and entrench a score of pieces of artillery.” Steamboats began running to Easton Point as early as 1830.
(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)