Compton is located on Grubin Neck overlooking La Trappe Creek, Talbot County. Compton was the home of Samuel Stevens (1778-1860) eighteenth Governor of Maryland. He served three terms beginning in 1822 during which he enfranchised the Jews, abolished the religious test for Maryland office holders, extended the civil liberties guarantee in the Bill of Rights to Maryland law, and authorized the construction of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. During Lafayette’s visit to the United States in 1824 he rode from Compton to meet him wearing “swallow-tailed blue jeans, home spun coat with brass buttons.” After his last term as Governor he returned to Compton which he inherited from his father in 1794.
(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)