Waterloo Farm

Waterloo Farm is located near the end of Goose Creek Road, on the east side of Choptank River, Dorchester County, on the north entrance to Indian Creek.  Waterloo Farmhouse was built in 1848 (possibly earlier) by Captain Thomas Benjamin Sherman on land belonging to the Sherman family since before the American Revolution.  Captain Sherman lived here from 1848 until 1885 and operated a packet steamship line between Baltimore and the Eastern Shore; possibly called the Sherman Steamboat Company.  The Dorchester wharf was located on his property (see Sherman Landing).  A brick milk-house, smoke house and a slave quarter are located on the north side of the house.  The mulberry trees on the property are reputed to be the oldest on the Eastern Shore.

(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)

[crhno_crh701]
Share Button

On Maryland's Eastern Shore