Island Creek Shipyard

Island Creek is located between Oxford Neck and Island Neck, on the north bank of ChoptankRiver in Talbot County. The exact location of this colonial shipyard is unknown.  It was operated first by Andrew Tonnard and Samuel Summers from 1690 until 1699 and by Solomon Summers from 1695 to 1705.  Both Summers were probably family related and operated the same yard, which built 300- to 400-ton vessels.

(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)

Share Button

On Maryland's Eastern Shore