Other Names: Goose Creek Farm
Indian Purchase is a private home located on Green Point Road, over looking Goose Creek and the Choptank River, just below Warwick River in Dorchester County. Indian Purchase was built 1750 by the Ennalls family. It is so named as the land had been part of the Choptank Indian Reservation and was known as Indian Lands, Lot No. 4. Chief Hatchwop and his queen and five members of the Choptank Tribe signed a deed transferring this land to Francis Taylor in 1693.
Goose Creek was once called Indian Creek and was the site of Locust Neck Indian Town located just across Goose Creek and was occupied by Native Americans as late as the end of the 18th century (circa 1790). This is the last known place on which the Choptank Indians lived in Dorchester County.
Taken at Locust-Neck Town – The remains of an ancient Indian Town on Goose creek, Choptank River in Dorset [Dorchester County], Maryland – Five wigwams and a board house with a glass window now form the whole that is left of the Nanticoke [actually the Choptank] tribe which was an hundred years ago numerous and powerful. (Dr. William Vans Murray of Cambridge report to Thomas Jefferson, 1780s).
(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)