Restoring and Preserving the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meetinghouse

Restoring and Preserving the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meetinghouse

The Friends of the Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meeting House originally planned to start with the restoration on the west side of the building. (The east side was restored in 2019.) Restoration plans have expanded to include the three remaining sides. We have received donations from individuals, a religious group, and a DAR Historic Preservation Grant. Funding for this project was made possible through the sponsorship of the General Perry Benson Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. But more donations are needed. Read more …

Share Button
Getting the History Right – Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meetinghouse

Getting the History Right – Tuckahoe Neck Quaker Meetinghouse

The roadside historical marker tells us only the basics. And some of that is wrong. Read more …

Share Button
A Short History of the Quakers in Caroline

A Short History of the Quakers in Caroline

The history of the Society of Friends (Quakers) on the Eastern Shore of Maryland goes back to 1659 when the Quakers in Talbot County established the Third Haven Meetinghouse. The first Quaker meetinghouse in what would become Caroline County was established at Marshy Creek near Preston in 1727.

Share Button
Leverton the Quaker and Hubbard the free Black were neighbors. And secret agents.

Leverton the Quaker and Hubbard the free Black were neighbors. And secret agents.

Find out how Hubbard and Leverton with worked with Harriet Tubman and others to move freedom seekers through Caroline County to safety.

#blackhistorymatters

Share Button