During 1800-1850, Boonsboro was a thriving crossroads village with a church, school, wheelwright shop, and homes. Its leading citizens were the descendants of John Boon, who acquired large landholdings nearby in the late 1700s.
Dutch immigrants poured into Caroline County in two waves in the 1890s and settled in “Wilhelmina Colonies” east of Dover Bridge. They came to America when farmland became scarce in their native Holland. They worked hard, built homes and churches, and called Caroline home. When war broke out in Europe and America sent troops, Caroline residents took a long look at their “foreign” neighbors.