Sandy Hill

Lower Choptank River Historic Site

Dates

1895-Present

Other Names

Algonquin

River

Lower Choptank

Mile

11.5

County

Dorchester

Cultural and Natural Resources: Geological interest, former Native-American village site, historic house.

Sandy Hill is a high sandy hill on the western edge of Cambridge on the Choptank River. This sand deposit accumulated over thousands of years by winds blowing from the northwest down the Choptank River. Such deposits are referred to as eolian - meaning formed by wind; from Eolus, the god of wind.  Here was located a Native-American village site of the Adena Culture.  During sand quarrying operations in the 1920s a significant cache of large beautiful ceremonial blades was uncovered.  Unfortunately, this important collection is in private hands. Algonguin is a Colonial Revival style house built on this hill (7 Manito Drive) in 1895 by John Mundy.    Mundy changed the name from Sandy Hill to Algonquin. It was next purchased by U.S. Senator Raynor of Maryland and used as a summer home.  It was later sold to Mr. Basshor of Baltimore, whose wife was the first wife of Isaac Emerson, the originator of Bromo-Seltzer.  Many of the roads at Sandy Hill are named after various Indian tribes including Nanticoke, Algonquin, Kiowa and Shawnee.

Map Gallery

(Click for enlargement.)

Photo Gallery

(Click photos for enlargements.)

High bluffs at the west edge of Cambridge include Sandy Hill.

Close-up of the photo above.

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Upper Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites
on the Lower
Choptank River