Howells Point

Lower Choptank River Historic Site

Dates

1823-1976

Other Names

Howell’s Point

River

Lower Choptank

Mile

11.0

County

Talbot

Environmental Resources: Example of island erosion, historic house site.

Howell Point is located between La Trappe Creek and Dickinson Bay, nearly north of Cambridge at end of Grubin Neck,  Talbot County.  Judge Samuel Dickinson owned an island at the end of Howell Point, named While Powell’s Island.  It was assessed at 55 acres in 1755; today Howell Point is completely eroded away.  A Neo-Georgian revival house called Howell Point was built here circa 1920.  It suffered from extensive termite damage and was demolished in 1976.  The steamboat Albemarle began a regular run Baltimore and Cambridge in 1823, stopping at Howell Point.

Map Gallery

Photo Gallery

(Click photos for enlargements.)

Aerial view of Howell Point and Grubin Neck, looking northeast.

 

 

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Upper Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites
on the Lower
Choptank River