Hambrooks

Lower Choptank River Historic Site

Dates

1803-1970s

Other Names

None

River

Lower Choptank

Mile

12.2

County

Dorchester

Cultural Resources: Historic house site.

Hambrooks is located off Oak Street, west of Hambrooks Boulevard, 1.4 miles from Water Street in Cambridge, at the tip of Hambrooks Bay, overlooking the Choptank River.  The area is named for John Hambrooks who obtained the property in the 17th century.  The house built on this property was in 1803 by Isaac Steele.  The property was then obtained by John Campbell Henry, son of Governor John Henry.  John Campbell Henry died at Hambrooks in 1857.  The house was demolished in the 1970s.

Map Gallery

(Click for enlargement.)

Photo Gallery

(Click photos for enlargements.)

Site of Hambrooks manor.

Close-up of the photo above.

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Upper Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites
on the Lower
Choptank River