Colonial period deeds refer to a bridge as running across the "Great Bend" of "Great Choptank River." The bridge pre-dates 1732 as a plat from that year indicates. The court in 1775 agreed to "repair Choptank Bridge" and to "settle the Account for building Choptank Bridge with Joseph Whitbey the Builder." An Act dated January 15, 1808, stated,..."the old bridge over the Choptank river, at the village of Greensboro, ... is in ruinous condition, and nearly impassable." The Act authorized the construction of a new bridge "at or near the place where the old one now stands."
In 1908 a concrete girder bridge replaced a series of former timber bridges from at least the second quarter of the eighteenth century. The bridge was described in 1879 as a simple "trestle-work, with one span of abut 30 feet to allow lighters to pass." This concrete bridge was one of at least six concrete girder structures constructed in 1908 or earlier on Maryland's highways. It was composed of three 39-foot girder sections and two 38-foot girder sections.
In the 1950s both parapets were replaced, and steel brackets, bracing and columns added to the both upstream and downstream faces. All pier column footings were encased in additional concrete. One source indicates a new bridge was erected in 1950-51. 78 In the 1980s sprayed mortar and epoxy grout was applied to several areas of concrete beams and piers to cover spalled areas, cracks and exposed reinforcing steel.
The present bridge (constructed down river) replaced this bridge in 1996. The Greensboro Bridge is indicated on Samuel Lewis' 1799 map of Maryland but is only marked by "Bridge" showing a road from the west but not continuing past the Choptank River to the east. See also Greensboro for additional information on significance of this site.