Denton Ferries

Dates

ca. 1770-1813

Other Names

None

River

Choptank

Mile

20.7 (first), 20.4 (second)

County

Caroline

A ferry operated across the Choptank River from Pig Point (Denton side) to the West Denton ("Harford Town") side initially at "Old Town Cove" and eventually opposite the Denton Causeway. Originally the western terminus was probably located at a landing called "upper horn landing" near a small cove (Old Town Cove) where the "road to Denton Ferry" intersected the mouth of this cove. This "upper horn landing" is referenced in a 1775 Certificate for Smith Island (Mud Island on the 1807 Denton Map) issued to James Smith. The ferry ran across the river to a landing near present Third Street, where Denton originated in 1781 and/or to a landing at Front Street, which was settled after 1791.  By 1807 the western terminus of the Denton Ferry was opposite the "causeway" (Market Street extended westward through the "cripple marsh") and remained situated there until the first iron bridge was constructed in 1811 (see Denton Bridge). 

The ferriage for non-county users of the Denton Ferry in 1800 was 8 cents for foot passengers, 16 cents for horses, 35 cents for two-wheeled carriages, and horses with passengers, 75 cents for four wheeled "phaeton," horses and passengers, and 12 cents for each "black cattle."  No ferriage was charged for persons who owned land in the county but were not residents.

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites on the Upper Choptank River

Todd Wharf
Downes Landing
Two Johns
Keenes Landing
Towers Wharf
Potters Landing
Potters Mill
Lyford Landing
Pealiquor Ldg
Pungy Shipwreck
Watts Creek
Vesper Shipwreck
West Denton
Denton
Denton Wharves
Denton Bridges
Denton Ferries
Pig Point
Neck Meeting House
QARR Bridge
Adams Landing
Ridgely Waterfront
Hardcastle Ldg
Barwicks Ferry
Melvills Warehse
Smith Landing
Brigantine Ldg
Sangstons Ldg
Passapea Ldg
Landing Ck Ldg
Brick Mill Landing
Greensboro
G'boro Wharves
G'boro Bridges
Sandy Is Bridge
Choptank Mills