Choptank River Bridge

Lower Choptank River Historic Site

Dates

1933-Present

Other Names

Emerson C. Harrington  Bridge, Frederick C. Malkus Bridge

River

Lower Choptank

Mile

14.5

County

Dorchester - Talbot

Cultural Resources: Choptank River bridge.

The Emerson C. Harrington Bridge began construction in 1933 and was dedicated by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1935. It is the second longest span bridge in Maryland after the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  It originally had a swing span to allow passage of vessels.  This bridge was replaced by the higher none-span Frederick C. Malkus Bridge in 1987. Remains of the 1933 bridge are used as fishing piers on both the north and south bank of the river.  The Malkus Bridge was presented with two awards; one for Special Recognition for the Creative Use of Precast and Prestressed Concrete in 1987 from the Prestressed Concrete Institute and, one from the Consulting Engineers Council for Innovative Excellence in Engineering Design in 1988.

Map Gallery

(Click for Enlargement)

Photo Gallery

(Click photos for enlargements.)

1987 bridge seen from Sailwinds Park, Cambridge.

Aerial view looking northward. Bollingbroke Creek on the upper right.

North end of the bridge. Site of Ferry Farm on the other side of the bridge.  Chancellors Point in the background.

Looking westward, toward the Choptank River mouth.

1987 bridge on the left, fishing pier made from old drawbridge approaches, on the right.  Boardwalk to Sailwinds Park, Cambridge.

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Upper Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites
on the Lower
Choptank River