Barkers Landing

Dates

 1709-1820

Other Names

Dover Landing

River

Choptank

Mile

5.8

County

Talbot

Barkerís Landing was located where the Dover Ferry crossed from the Caroline County side of the Choptank River to the Talbot County or west side of the river.  Barkers Landing was first officially mentioned in the transactions of the Lower House of the General Assembly in 1709 petitioning for a town to be developed there; but nothing ever came of it.  Barker's Landing was used by sailing vessels to destroy wood boring-worms (Teredo navalis; shipworm) which could not survive in the fresh waters of the river that far up river, as well as to load cargoes of tobacco. Evidence of submerged wharf cribbing is present at this site.

 

Travel Upriver

Travel Downriver

River Sections:
Lower Choptank
Lower Tributaries
Middle Choptank
Upper Choptank
Tuckahoe

Historic Sites on the Middle Choptank River