In August, the Center sponsors the Annual Choptank River Heritage Day in conjuction with Caroline County Summerfest.
The Heritage Festival features maritime themes, artisans, crafts and an assortment of exhibits. Event and activities include:
- Annual Choptank Rivah Run - As an early Summerfest “kick off” event, the Center, Caroline County Recreation and Parks and
Martinak State Park co-sponsor an American Canoe Association sanctioned fun paddling event.
The event is a “poker run” from Martinak State Park to Crouse Park. Prizes are awarded to the top three poker hands. For information and registration forms call (410) 241-8661.
- Displays and Exhibits - Local maritime artisans and archeologists display their exhibits and wares as well as provide live demonstrations of their respective trades
along the waterfront. A maritime exhibit featuring maritime trade along the upper Choptank River is also on display. This exhibit focuses on riverine trade and features historic photographs, cultural resource inventories, interpretive mapping displays and archeology collections. You can walk through the Center’s 1920s steamboat warehouse and tour the reconstructed Joppa Steamboat Wharf.
- River Cruises and Shuttles - River cruises departing from Joppa Wharf are available on the Choptank’s newest excursion vessel the “Cambridge Lady”.
- Choptank River - “Touch Tank” - Volunteers from the Center and the Department of Natural Resources set up a “hands on” waterfront exhibit where children meet and handle the “critters” of the Choptank River including turtles, crabs, eels, and oysters.
- Historic Skipjacks- F.C. Lewis, Jr., Flora Price, and Maggie Lee - All three vessels are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Maggie Lee was built in 1903 in Pocomoke City and was active in the dredging fleet until 1998. The F.C. Lewis, Jr. was built in 1907 and was renowned as one of the swiftest sailing vessels in the oyster fleet. Flora Price was built in 1910, one of the largest skipjacks ever built.
For more information about Summerfest, contact the Caroline County Department of Recreation and Parks at 410-479-3721.
For more information on Old Harford Town Maritime Center, including artisan / exhibitor opportunities, please contact Carl Scheffel at 410-241-8661, or email@example.com.